[meta-freescale] Linux kernel version for iMX6?

Jens Rehsack rehsack at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 06:49:27 PDT 2014

Am 24.06.2014 um 15:13 schrieb Daiane Angolini <daiane.list at gmail.com>:

>>> meta-fsl-bsp-release is not supposed to work with outside
>>> L3.10.17-1.0.0-GA release.
>>> And it´s only supposed to be a reference static source code. It means,
>>> when you need to adapt, change any configuration, or version. You
>>> should use FSL Community BSP.
>>
>> So it's not reasonable to use yocto-bsp and include meta-fsl-arm/conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc or it that sane?
>> /me has some difficulties identifying components.
>
> It´s my main doubt on how to explain yocto bsp to someone that does
> not know yocto.
>
> Should I start with components, or should I start with something
> usable (like an image) and them mix all the components together.
>
> Maybe it´s the same bottom-up X top-down dilemma
>
> the meta-fsl-bsp-release has several configurations that cannot be
> overriden, that´s why your new meta layer does not work.
>
> it´s not the case that your meta layer does not work. It´s the case
> that meta-fsl-bsp-release does not allow some configuration in your
> layer to get applied.

I did a yocto-bsp and watched the result. Needs some tweaking, but looks
more reasonable than my patching in sources/meta-fsl-arm :)

>>> You can find latest 3.0.35 on Dora:
>>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-arm/tree/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-imx_3.0.35.bb?h=dora

>>> Are you sure?
>>
>> Not at all - clarifying was the intension of asking ;)
>
> 2009.08 is from last century :P

Hey, last century wasn't bad at all. I brought us smpt, http, icb, irc and many other cool stuff ;)

>>> What Freescale released version?
>>>
>>> In dora we have imx_3.0.35_4.0.0:
>>>
>>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-arm/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2009.08.bb?h=dora#n25
>>>
>>> But I think you can consider to use a newer one.
>>
>> I received patches from the board manufacturer against 2009.08 and they don't apply cleanly to 2013.04.
>> While I do not expect that I can re-apply the kernel patch to a newer kernel (entire arch/arm/mach-mx6 directory is missing on 3.10.17), chances might be better to port u-boot patch.
>
> "against 2009.08" is not enough. Freescale released thousand 2009.08 releases.

I also figured out which branch was the original one. Important is the hint: "Try updating".

> Focus on u-boot first. kernel is 2nd step

Ok

> Take a look here:
> http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/uboot-imx.git/refs/heads
>
> And see how much different u-boot_2009.08 releases Freescale made.
> Which one you should use?

Basically I started with imx_v2009.08_3.0.35_4.1.0 :)

>>> So, start over, using only FSL Community BSP. Forget about
>>> meta-fsl-bsp-release because it will not work for you.
>>
>> Ok, will do. I already have checked out the repository fsl-community-bsp-base at sources/base.
>> So I need something else?
>
> Yes, remove meta-fsl-bsp-release from your conf/bblayers.conf

Done

> replace your manifest to point to the latest (instead of
> meta-fsl-bsp-release commit id)

Attaching my manifest.xml