[meta-freescale] Does anybody know of a quick way to migrate an IMX6 BSP from dora to daisy?

Stephen Munnings Stephen.Munnings at nuvation.com
Fri Jun 20 14:30:42 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Fabio Estevam [mailto:festevam at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 4:12 PM
To: Stephen Munnings
Cc: Otavio Salvador; meta-freescale at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [meta-freescale] Does anybody know of a quick way to migrate an IMX6 BSP from dora to daisy?

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Stephen Munnings <Stephen.Munnings at nuvation.com> wrote:

> The only issues I have here are:
>  a) The lack of notification that such a change had happened between
> dora and daisy.  And I don’t see how I can blame anybody for that, as
> I am not sure how that information should/would/could have been sent
> to the right

meta-fsl-arm uses code from the U-boot project and build it.

The IOMUX change happened in the U-boot code, and all the boards that are part of the project were properly converted.

There is no 'notification' on such projects. People who are working on the upstream projects only care to not break the boards that are supported by those projects.

-----End Original Message-----

I understand all of that.
However, meta-fsl-arm did make the decision to move from Uboot_2013.10 to Uboot_2014.01, not retaining support for 2013.10.
Perhaps they thought that since the Uboot mainline projects were converted that there were no remaining issues with this.
(And I am not complaining about those decisions)
But it still leaves a hole where a new project is currently being worked on (not yet moved to U-boot mainline) and its time frame includes the period where this work happened.
In my case, the time frame covering the movement from 2013.10 to 2014.01
This is not a complaint, just trying to cover off the facts.
As I said, I am not sure how this particular situation should best be handled.
Perhaps I should have read the release notes for the 2014.01 version - when I realized that daisy had moved to using 2014.01.
I am guessing that this was mentioned in there - amongst all the other stuff.
As Eric Nelson stated (in FSL community post), the patches were posted to the u-boot mailing lists.
However developers cannot spend an appreciable fraction of their valuable time simply trying to stay current on the mailing lists.
It is a sad fact of life - but with a big upside to it also - that there is just too much traffic to be constantly scanning for items of direct interest.
Again, if the conversion tool were still available (and it was not so very long ago that this happened) there would really be no issue here to speak of.
I do appreciate all the work that goes into all the maintenance that was done, and perhaps overreacted to the surprise of having all those constants changed.
I am still disappointed in only one thing - that the conversion tool no longer seems to exist.

--
Stephen Munnings
Sr. Design Engineer | 519.594.0976