[meta-freescale] Improving SD-Card images

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Jul 21 07:50:44 PDT 2014

Hello,

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM, maciej.borzecki at open-rnd.pl
<maciej.borzecki at open-rnd.pl> wrote:
>> Dnia 19 lipiec 2014 o 16:50 Jens Rehsack <rehsack at gmail.com> napisał(a):
>> the options of meta-fsl-arm/classes/image_types_fsl.bbclass to generate
>> sdcards are somehow limited :)
>>
>> For the final release we'd like to have following partitions:
>> 1) boot (ext2, fat?)
>> 2) prod-root (squashfs)
>> 3) recovery-root (squashfs)
>> 4) volatile (ext[34]?)
>> 5) changes (unionfs over 2)
>>
>> Looks as if image_types_fsl.bbclass would need rework to support >2
>> partition, but that's just coding.
>
> Have you considered wic? I've posted a patch that adds building of SD card
> image for BBB:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.embedded.yocto.meta-ti/4171 also
> meta-ti have already dumped their
> sdimg bbclass in favor of wic. Not saying that meta-fsl should do the same,
> just pointing out that there may
> be some room for unification.

This is the long-term goal for sure.

I have worked with Tom in extending 'wic' to have the plugin system
you used to enable BBB to generate the image. I also want to try to
leverage the U-Boot support backend so we can avoid a lot of
custom-made recipes and duplication.

I wasn't aware of your patch (thanks), I will look at it next week ...