[meta-freescale] fsl-community-bsp: signing up for testing

Trevor Woerner trevor.woerner at linaro.org
Thu Jul 3 09:07:37 PDT 2014

On 07/03/14 11:52, Stephano Cetola wrote:

All excellent points!

In my opinion, the testing needs to be split into two phases:
1) help/guidelines/docs on testing
2) reporting

I think we can agree that Daiane has done an excellent job on the
reporting side: to create forms to collect and aggregate the test result
information.

I think where we could use more work (or maybe this already exists,
perhaps I'm just not aware of it?) is on the "how to test" side.

If we had a set of procedures that were so "dumbed down" that a person
with little OE experience could follow them, perhaps it would be easier
to get more members of the community involved in testing?

Or, even better than documentation, what if we had build targets that
were functional and ready to run "out of the box" for various tests? Why
isn't it good enough to simply run "bitbake core-image-weston" or
"fsl-image-multimedia"? Why are tweaks always required to local.conf
(i.e. DISTRO_FEATURES, EXTRA_IMAGES, PREFERRED_PROVIDER)? If the
multimedia target _always_ requires the gstreamer packages to be added,
shouldn't that happen automatically when someone builds that target?

We should probably also look into those ptests to see if they can't help
with some of this testing/reporting.