[meta-freescale] linux-denx missing the needed hash

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Wed Feb 19 15:01:38 PST 2014

Hello Wolfgang,

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Otavio,
>
> In message <CAP9ODKoERSkfd3QaBgK-r_n6PaB+gXQA7apARRdCt0ywnPuUPA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I am fixing; my main problem is no one supporting those board and
>> doing tests with it.
>>
>> As you can see, after Marek sending the board for inclusion, most
>> fixes (even for build failures) has been done by me:
>
> But... aren't those fixes only needed due to changes you made
> elsewhere?

Not all; I won't enumerate them and you can check the logs.

>>     m53evk: Fix build failure due non-FSL kernel use with AMD GPU
>>
>>     The m53evk board uses the DENX kernel which is based in mainline and
>>     does not has the need drivers for AMD GPU driver to build. This
>>     patches makes it use the Framebuffer driver instead fixing a build
>>     failure found in our autobuilder.
>
> It worked when Marek submitted it, right?  So something else was
> changed?

If you read the looks it didn't. The problem is that Marek didn't
build X11 and he didn't figure it out.

>>     m53evk: Do not enable GStreamer plugin
>>
>>     The kernel used for this board is based in the mainline kernel and
>>     does not provide the Freescale specific headers so we cannot build the
>>     GStreamer specific plugin.
>
> This sounds as if it was a Bad Thing to use mainline code.  This is an
> attitude I do not understand.  Is it not that out-of-tree code that
> breaks things?  So if changes are needed, should the focus not be on
> getting rid of the out-of-tree code - either by pushing it upstream,
> or, if it is not acceptable for mainline, by dropping it? It may make
> sense to use out-of-tree code in certain configurations, but to make
> it mandatory for all looks the wrong approach to me.

Subscribe the list and review the patches. It is a little too late to
complain about a commit log already merged.

>> Wolfgang, please try to get someone watching those boards (and they
>> are still marked as orphan by the way).
>>
>> If you don't see value in those being supported better to remove them.
>
> But this is not the problem. The problem is that you added a modifi-
> cation which introduced a bug, and then complain, and blame others
> for the resulting build breakage.

Wolfgang, the problem is you are trying to find someone to point as guilt.

Even if I did a mistake in the branch name (which I am sure it worked
at that time) I don't make money selling M28EVK or M53EVK, you do. So
who should be keeping an eye if boards are working in the BSP?

As I said before:

>> I am fixing; my main problem is no one supporting those board and
>> doing tests with it.

I pushed to fix already so DENX boards are building. If you don't see
value in having the boards in the BSP those can be dropped from the
BSP. I would prefer if you, Marek or someone else could keep an eye on
those and do regular tests so we catch problems.

I personally told Marek about the X11 issue more than a week ago. It
ended I fixing it ... please stop and think if it is right.

By the way, this is my last e-mail in this thread.

Have a good day.