[meta-freescale] linux-denx missing the needed hash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 19 14:43:08 PST 2014

Dear Otavio,

In message <CAP9ODKoERSkfd3QaBgK-r_n6PaB+gXQA7apARRdCt0ywnPuUPA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am fixing; my main problem is no one supporting those board and
> doing tests with it.
>
> As you can see, after Marek sending the board for inclusion, most
> fixes (even for build failures) has been done by me:

But... aren't those fixes only needed due to changes you made
elsewhere?

>     m53evk: Fix build failure due non-FSL kernel use with AMD GPU
>
>     The m53evk board uses the DENX kernel which is based in mainline and
>     does not has the need drivers for AMD GPU driver to build. This
>     patches makes it use the Framebuffer driver instead fixing a build
>     failure found in our autobuilder.

It worked when Marek submitted it, right?  So something else was
changed?

>     m53evk: Do not enable GStreamer plugin
>
>     The kernel used for this board is based in the mainline kernel and
>     does not provide the Freescale specific headers so we cannot build the
>     GStreamer specific plugin.

This sounds as if it was a Bad Thing to use mainline code.  This is an
attitude I do not understand.  Is it not that out-of-tree code that
breaks things?  So if changes are needed, should the focus not be on
getting rid of the out-of-tree code - either by pushing it upstream,
or, if it is not acceptable for mainline, by dropping it? It may make
sense to use out-of-tree code in certain configurations, but to make
it mandatory for all looks the wrong approach to me.

> Wolfgang, please try to get someone watching those boards (and they
> are still marked as orphan by the way).
>
> If you don't see value in those being supported better to remove them.

But this is not the problem. The problem is that you added a modifi-
cation which introduced a bug, and then complain, and blame others
for the resulting build breakage.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Plan to throw one away. You will anyway."
                              - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"