[meta-freescale] Audio stream routing

Alexander Shashkevych alex at stunpix.com
Tue Dec 9 05:33:52 PST 2014

>> >      This is a question about audio stream routing.
>> >
>> >      Soft arch:
>> >      gstreamer--->pluseaudio--->alsa
>> >
>> >      There are two media players playing different mp3 files at the same
>> > time. How to route them to different sound card?
>> >      Where should I config the route? pluseaudio or alsa?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Alsa is api for direct communication with audio devices (no less, no
>> more)
> You can downmix and resample things using alsa. google for dsnoop, dmix,
> plughw, resample standard alsa plugins, everything is configurable, you can
> make pretty complicated things using alsa. There is no need for pulseaudio
> unless you really need it. Especially in embedded applications when sound
> configuration is predefined.

You are right of course, but alsa-way requires more efforts to
configure such setups. Considering how initial question was
formulated, I've provided simplest possible answer. I just assumed
that Ray had no clear understanding how pulseaudio and alsa are
working by asking such questions, since they are suppose basic linux
knowledge.

>> routing can be done with pavucontrol.
> Routing is configurable using pacmd. Here is an example output
> http://pastebin.com/85V6qmZX
> pavucontrol is just a gui frontend for API, you don't necessarily need it.
>> PS: Actually this question is not imx/freescale specific, so this
>> mailing list is not best place for it.
> Not sure about it, I've done couple systems with SGTL5000 and other codecs
> using i.MX'ses and there were some issues here and there, so it is perfectly
> fine to discuss embedded setup here. There is even an .asoundrc files
> somewhere in meta-freescale with predefined values for one of the sabre
> series board (iirc using fsl alsa resampling plugin that makes use of i.MX
> internal digital audio resampler).

I hope Ray now has complete answer. :)

Alexander