[meta-freescale] Audio stream routing

Dmitriy B. rzk333 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 04:55:36 PST 2014

> > Hi,  everyone
> >
> >      This is a question about audio stream routing.
> >
> >      Soft arch:
> >      gstreamer--->pluseaudio--->alsa
> >
> >      There are two media players playing different mp3 files at the same
> > time. How to route them to different sound card?
> >      Where should I config the route? pluseaudio or alsa?
>
> Hi,
>
> Alsa is api for direct communication with audio devices (no less, no
> more)

You can downmix and resample things using alsa. google for dsnoop, dmix,
plughw, resample standard alsa plugins, everything is configurable, you can
make pretty complicated things using alsa. There is no need for pulseaudio
unless you really need it. Especially in embedded applications when sound
configuration is predefined.

routing can be done with pavucontrol.

Routing is configurable using pacmd. Here is an example output
http://pastebin.com/85V6qmZX
pavucontrol is just a gui frontend for API, you don't necessarily need it.

PS: Actually this question is not imx/freescale specific, so this
> mailing list is not best place for it.

Not sure about it, I've done couple systems with SGTL5000 and other codecs
using i.MX'ses and there were some issues here and there, so it is
perfectly fine to discuss embedded setup here. There is even an .asoundrc
files somewhere in meta-freescale with predefined values for one of the
sabre series board (iirc using fsl alsa resampling plugin that makes use of
i.MX internal digital audio resampler).

> Alexander
> --

Best Regards,