[meta-freescale] Issues using meta-freescale i.MX6 vs LTIB ?

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 07:51:03 PDT 2013

On 02/10/2013 15:38, Daiane Angolini wrote:
> On 10/02/2013 11:02 AM, Alex J Lennon wrote:

>>> You can see all current known issues here
>>> https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=meta-fsl-arm&list_id=105732
>>>

>>> As you may know, the last LTIB release from Freescale was 3.0.35_4.1.0.
>>>

>> Thanks Daiane,
>>
>> I guess what I'm really asking is, what are the drawbacks and
>> limitations (just just bugs per-se)
>> with using the current under-development i.MX6 OpenEmbedded BSP vs the
>> released LTIB BSP
>>
>> Maybe to put it another way, functionally is there a roadmap for where
>> the i.MX6 BSP is at
>> and what isn't yet working or supported. Presumably there are things
>> that are not working
>> or supported or FSL would be offically supporting at this time...?
>
> I don't like to leave non replied questions along my way. Although,
> this is the most difficult kind of question to answer.
>
> I, personally, cannot promise you what Freescale will or will not
> officially support. I can say what I'm supposed to support. And,
> officially, I'm only supposed to support imx-community.
>
> Although, I've been working a lot with meta-fsl-arm, and everything I
> can do internally to improve meta-fsl-arm technical support I've been
> doing.
>
> I've been using only yocto since 2 years ago. Last time I installed a
> new Ubuntu on my machine I even tried to install LTIB.
>
> I don't have any LTIB installed on my machine any more \o/
>
> And, every time I need to reproduce a customer's issue, I use yocto to
> generate whatever I need. (but for Android)
>

> The things that are not working and I would love to see working is;
>
> * all user-space package independent on kernel headers
> * MM support for linux mainline
> * Wayland accelerated for imx6 (all other board by SW only)
> * I know there are details on GPU support that is not perfect enough,
> but you must judge if it's needed or not for you.
>

> For official support and roadmap, please contact you local Freescale
> representative.
>
> For kernel feature list (linux-imx), please, consult linux reference
> manual from the proper release version.
>
> Again, I cannot say "official" things to you. I'm not the official
> Freescale voice.

Understood. But thanks for taking the time to respond. It's much
appreciated, and I those are very helpful comments.

There's nothing there that would be a blocker for me for this board -
it's destined to be a headless embedded gateway- although
from what I heard on Wayland from the Intel guys that's something I'd
like to try if I ever manage to find the time :)

Cheers,

Alex