[meta-freescale] Issues using meta-freescale i.MX6 vs LTIB ?

Daiane Angolini daiane.angolini at freescale.com
Wed Oct 2 07:38:18 PDT 2013

On 10/02/2013 11:02 AM, Alex J Lennon wrote:

> On 02/10/2013 14:37, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>> On 10/02/2013 10:12 AM, Alex J Lennon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to qualify a decision to use Yocto / meta-freescale for an
>>> upcoming
>>> i.MX6 board variant (based on the Sabre reference) instead of using the
>>> officially supported release based on LTIB.
>>>
>>> My preference is strongly for the Yocto/OpenEmbedded build environment,
>>> for various reasons, but I understand that the Freescale i.MX6 BSP is
>>> not
>>> officially supported at this time.
>>>
>>> Knowing the experience and activity levels of the people working via
>>> these
>>> lists, I suspect that meta-freescale is by now significantly ahead of
>>> the current
>>> release of LTIB.
>>>
>>> That said I wonder if there are any known issues with using
>>> meta-freescale
>>> which might give me pause, and cause me to use LTIB at this time?
>>
>> You can see all current known issues here
>> https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=meta-fsl-arm&list_id=105732
>>

>> As you may know, the last LTIB release from Freescale was 3.0.35_4.1.0.
>>

> Thanks Daiane,
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is, what are the drawbacks and
> limitations (just just bugs per-se)
> with using the current under-development i.MX6 OpenEmbedded BSP vs the
> released LTIB BSP
>
> Maybe to put it another way, functionally is there a roadmap for where
> the i.MX6 BSP is at
> and what isn't yet working or supported. Presumably there are things
> that are not working
> or supported or FSL would be offically supporting at this time...?

I don't like to leave non replied questions along my way. Although, this
is the most difficult kind of question to answer.

I, personally, cannot promise you what Freescale will or will not
officially support. I can say what I'm supposed to support. And,
officially, I'm only supposed to support imx-community.

Although, I've been working a lot with meta-fsl-arm, and everything I
can do internally to improve meta-fsl-arm technical support I've been doing.

I've been using only yocto since 2 years ago. Last time I installed a
new Ubuntu on my machine I even tried to install LTIB.

I don't have any LTIB installed on my machine any more \o/

And, every time I need to reproduce a customer's issue, I use yocto to
generate whatever I need. (but for Android)

The things that are not working and I would love to see working is;

* all user-space package independent on kernel headers
* MM support for linux mainline
* Wayland accelerated for imx6 (all other board by SW only)
* I know there are details on GPU support that is not perfect enough,
but you must judge if it's needed or not for you.

For official support and roadmap, please contact you local Freescale
representative.

For kernel feature list (linux-imx), please, consult linux reference
manual from the proper release version.

Again, I cannot say "official" things to you. I'm not the official
Freescale voice.

>> And, as already said in ML, next release 3.10.9_1.0.0 will be Yocto
>>

> Apparently so :) I just wasn't sure whether I could mention that yet,
> but as you already have... ;)

I saw this already public on imx-community

And I'm sorry not being able to make you feel more comfortable.

--
Daiane