[meta-freescale] trying to boot a bitbaked image in various ways

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Mon May 20 19:18:36 PDT 2013

Thanks Otavio,

On 05/20/2013 07:07 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Thanassis Silis <djnass_18 at hotmail.com
> <mailto:djnass_18 at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi there,
>     thank you for the reply.
>     well, considering (2) below, I have already 'dd' the .sdcard image.
>     but the boot fails. I think the 2009.08 uboot image looks for a
>     couple of files in the root folder of the target fs. The questions
>     is though, how does one use this u-boot.imx image that has been
>     bitbaked?
>
> Checking by it in Google lead me to
> http://boundarydevices.com/i-mx-6dq-u-boot-updates/ so I think you can
> take a look there and upgrade it.

The Yocto image also has an upgrade script (6x_upgrade) which can be
run from the U-Boot prompt through the 'upgradeu' command:

	U-Boot > run upgradeu

The next question I'd ask is "why are you upgrading"? There are
some valid reasons, especially if you're running something that
pre-dates 2013-02-12, but I wouldn't make a practice of doing it
during each Yocto release.

We expect relatively infrequent updates to the boot loader,
and everything that's shipped in the past few months should
be adequate for most uses.

We do have some updates for boot speed upcoming (which enable
cache), but those haven't been pushed to the meta-freescale
project.

If you're running on a Solo or Dual-Lite processor, you'll also
risk bricking your board. We haven't put any instructions into
Yocto to differentiate between the models, and it probably
doesn't belong in this project.

Regards,

Eric