[meta-freescale] Gstreamer pipeline problem

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Jul 12 09:44:41 PDT 2013

Hi John,

On 12 Jul 2013, at 15:12, John Weber wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>> That's unfortunate as I need a pipeline which can run on many different platforms, including 'standard pc'. This was one reason why I was using fakesink to capture the images - v4l looked like a way to go so that I could stream the video direct to the screen and get the full benefits of any acceleration supported by a platform (zero copy, etc.).
>>

> I think you will probably need to build an application that creates a pipeline based on the host.  For example, a desktop system probably will not have much use for V4L output devices, so they might not use v4l2sink but autovideosink. On a i.MX6 for example, you'll want to use mfw_v4lsink, which as I understand it does take advantage of some of the built-in acceleration.
>
> Also, for video decoding (H.264 decompression I mean), you'll want to change the element you use there as well.  For i.MX6 this is vpudec, but for general purpose there is x264dec (think that is the name but not sure).

Yes, that's one of the reasons I've been using playbin2 and fakesink. I'm hoping that playbin will build a decent decode pipeline and I can then use the frames in fakesink to create an OpenGLES texture which I can render in my app. This also gives a portable way of rendering the video where I want, at the size I need and without and decoration.

I was hoping that glupload may help make this more efficient, but I can't even get gst-plugins-gl to build at the moment.

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com