[meta-freescale] Use barebox instead of u-boot

Jeff Horn jeff at everlook.net
Tue Jan 8 17:22:23 PST 2013

Hi,

I've been tasked to test yocto to build our BSP.  We have a custom board
based on the i.MX53.  I was able to follow the instructions and did manage
to generate an image for the i.MX53 QSB.  That was nice!  Now I'm lost in
layer land trying to figure out how yocto determines what packages are
built when I type bitbake fsl-image-gui.

We are currently using barebox so I would like to use barebox instead of
u-boot for the bootloader.  I tried adding my own layer and then added a
machine configuration but I am lost at what to do next.

How can I change the imx53qsb build to use barebox?  Maybe that will help.
 Also, am I on the right track to add my own layer so I can add additional
patches to barebox and the kernel.

I only need to patch barebox and the kernel to boot my board.  I could just
hack the imx53qsb build but I want to learn how to do this the yocto way.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jeff