[meta-freescale] Please review the proposal of FSL Yocto layers reorg

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Thu Feb 28 07:39:49 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Bob Cochran <yocto at mindchasers.com> wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 04:07 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Otavio Salvador
>> <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:

>>> And from now on, what are the plans?
>>

>> Same using SDK kernel release, I don't think the kernel team will ever
>> have everything upstreamed for an SDK release and supporting all
>> feature and bug fixes. Besides we will pick a kernel and test and fix
>> it so it will always fall out of sync. (e.g. latest kernel release - 1
>> release + fixes)

> That's today.  What about next week or next month?  As Zhenhua develops the
> revised Yocto layer strategy, I ask that he clarifies the policy on how the
> same named tree on different servers will be maintained.
>

> The ones on git.freescale.com are still

>>> And what are the plans regarding the SDK?
>

> Can we get a statement in the Yocto layers reorg doc on how each SDK branch
> will be maintained between SDK releases?  As a developer working to get
> products out the door, will I view the patched SDK branch (between releases)
> as a bug fixed SDK or as an experimental branch for the next SDK release?

I understand the sentiment but I don't think we can guarantee anything
here. This is all done for free after all. I understand that's not a
great answer but there are always limited resources spread around.

Upstream / public branches will try to work with all Yocto releases,
while SDK releases could contain a lot of hacks to more things
working, or pre-release things out there door.

-M