[meta-freescale] Please review the proposal of FSL Yocto layers reorg

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Thu Feb 28 06:32:54 PST 2013

On 02/27/2013 04:07 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882
>> <B29882 at freescale.com> wrote:

>>> We work on the upstream tree and also release an SDK kernel tree
>>> that's fully tested. The layers tend to use the latter since it
>>> supports all features. Nothing stopping users from adding a version
>>> using the upstream tree.
>>
>> And from now on, what are the plans?
>
> Same using SDK kernel release, I don't think the kernel team will ever
> have everything upstreamed for an SDK release and supporting all
> feature and bug fixes. Besides we will pick a kernel and test and fix
> it so it will always fall out of sync. (e.g. latest kernel release - 1
> release + fixes)

>>> They are somewhat in sync.

That's today.  What about next week or next month?  As Zhenhua develops
the revised Yocto layer strategy, I ask that he clarifies the policy on
how the same named tree on different servers will be maintained.

The ones on git.freescale.com are still
>>> denzil based for the last SDK release. Ones on git.yoctoproject.org
>>> are newer and include danny and master branches as well.
>>
>> And what are the plans regarding the SDK?

Can we get a statement in the Yocto layers reorg doc on how each SDK
branch will be maintained between SDK releases?  As a developer working
to get products out the door, will I view the patched SDK branch
(between releases) as a bug fixed SDK or as an experimental branch for
the next SDK release?