[meta-freescale] Initial u-boot support for Wandboard Dual

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Tue Feb 19 05:15:41 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM, John Weber <rjohnweber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just recently started using Yocto for i.MX6 development, and I'm
> working on adding Wandboard support to it, based on the Wandboard SDK that
> they released on 8 Feb.

Great.

> I think I have U-boot running with a bit more functionality than is in the
> SDK.  The SDK u-boot is, they admit, very bare bones.  Mainly, I've added
> ethernet support to it.  I've successfully downloaded and booted a kernel
> with it, but I haven't done much else yet.

Nice.

> The u-boot in the Wandboard SDK is based on Freescale's SDK u-boot
> (u-boot-imx_2009.08), so it is not the mainline u-boot that the members of
> this list seem to be working with.  I would like to forward port this, but
> my first goal is to get it running with the codebases that are closest to
> the FSL SDK and then do any forward porting.  By then, I hope that others in
> the community will be working on this too.  I'm not signing up to do this
> port, but I'll happily share any changes that I think are relevant to this
> group.

I think we could do it in different order. Include their BSP support
(as is) in meta-fsl-arm-extra and work in U-Boot mainline to add
support for it and than move it to U-Boot mainline. This way it can be
added faster.

> It may or may not work on Wandboard-Solo.  I don't have a Solo board to test
> with.
>
> My question is this - in a project like this, when I'm not in the mode of
> fixing bugs but adding a lot of features - when is the right time to send a
> patch to this list?   I'm attaching it here, but alternatively, I can submit
> this patch to the list as well, knowing that it should be considered
> development and should be tested.

I don't own these boards so I cannot help on it.

> Also, I'm new to this, so if someone could take a look over this patch and
> provide any advice, that would be great.  My guess is that I need to figure
> out how to chop it up into much smaller patches and submit a series, if I
> were doing this for real.

Yes, we need a series of patch but we need to be clear here.

Here you should sent a series of patch to add support in Yocto; in
U-Boot mainline mailing list you should send a series of patch to add
support in U-Boot mainline.

Please read the README about how to send patches.

Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br