[meta-freescale] Initial u-boot support for Wandboard Dual

John Weber rjohnweber at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 19:30:40 PST 2013

Hi,

I've just recently started using Yocto for i.MX6 development, and I'm
working on adding Wandboard support to it, based on the Wandboard SDK that
they released on 8 Feb.

I think I have U-boot running with a bit more functionality than is in the
SDK.  The SDK u-boot is, they admit, very bare bones.  Mainly, I've added
ethernet support to it.  I've successfully downloaded and booted a kernel
with it, but I haven't done much else yet.

The u-boot in the Wandboard SDK is based on Freescale's SDK u-boot
(u-boot-imx_2009.08), so it is not the mainline u-boot that the members of
this list seem to be working with.  I would like to forward port this, but
my first goal is to get it running with the codebases that are closest to
the FSL SDK and then do any forward porting.  By then, I hope that others
in the community will be working on this too.  I'm not signing up to do
this port, but I'll happily share any changes that I think are relevant to
this group.

It may or may not work on Wandboard-Solo.  I don't have a Solo board to
test with.

My question is this - in a project like this, when I'm not in the mode of
fixing bugs but adding a lot of features - when is the right time to send a
patch to this list?   I'm attaching it here, but alternatively, I can
submit this patch to the list as well, knowing that it should be considered
development and should be tested.

Also, I'm new to this, so if someone could take a look over this patch and
provide any advice, that would be great.  My guess is that I need to figure
out how to chop it up into much smaller patches and submit a series, if I
were doing this for real.

Thanks,
John