[meta-freescale] u-boot fails building with gk802 (hdmi dongle) as MACHINE, hard-float issue?

Christian Betz christian.betz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 06:32:33 PDT 2013

i'm starting to figure out what is going on.

the short story, I think, is that all the other boards are using soft
float and it works fine because they are using a separate and newer
branch of uboot that fixed a build-system related bug [1].

in other words: it's totally fine (desirable, actually) to build
u-boot with -msoft-float and then boot a kernel and userspace with
hard float. i think the issue I was running into with the imx6 dongle
uboot has to do with something being erroneously pulled in from the
hosts libgcc (which was compiled with hard float support) [1]. the
build fails because it refuses to mix the soft-float u-boot binaries
with the the hard-float stuff erroneously pulled from libgcc.

i still don't know what the exact fix is because nobody mentions a
particular commit but i am on the trail. i've done a little digging
already but didn't get very far (USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC doesn't appear to
be used anywhere in any recipes so that couldn't be the fix).

part of me wonders how hard it would be to port the board from the
older uboot-imx6dongle to the official uboot-imx because this would
probably solve the problem. more details to follow, i hope.

--christian

1. http://u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/U-Boot-RFC-PATCH-ARMV7-Patch-to-fix-hard-float-build-issues-td22107.html