[meta-freescale] MX28 Enable Watchdog reset

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:40:39 PDT 2013

Hi Mårten,

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Mårten Wikman <marten.wikman at novia.fi> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I don't know if this it the correct mailing list to ask this but I'm using
> meta-freescale BSP on MX28EVK so I guess it's worth a shot.

linux-arm-kernel is probably a better list to discuss this topic.

> I'm trying to get the Watchdog to reset my system if a kernel panic occurs
> but I haven't been able to do so. I have enabled RTC and watchdog in kernel
> configuration and I'm using 3.9.6 kernel. On boot this is what is says:
>
> [    1.990863] stmp3xxx-rtc 80056000.rtc: rtc core: registered 80056000.rtc
> as rtc0
> [    1.999625] i2c /dev entries driver
> [    2.012643] stmp3xxx_rtc_wdt stmp3xxx_rtc_wdt: initialized watchdog with
> heartbeat 19s
>

> But if a create a kernel panic with 'echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger' watchdog
> does not restart my system, how do I enable this feature or where can I read
> more about hardware watchdog in MX28 and how to use it in Linux?

There is some simple watchdog test application available at
Documentation/watchdog/src/ in the kernel source tree.

I took a quick look at the rtc/wd drtiver for mx28 and generated the
attached patch for you to try.

I don't have mx28 hardware acess at the moment, but if still fails for
you, I can check it next week.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam