[meta-freescale] [meta-fsl-demos] image-fsl-test build fails when x11 feature is disabled

Rogerio Nunes ronunes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 09:14:53 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Rogerio Nunes <ronunes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Disabling x11 in my DISTRO_FEATURES and trying to build image-fsl-test I
> get
> > the following error:
> >
> > | checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> > | checking for ENVY24CONTROL... no
> > | configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 alsa >= 0.9.0) were
> not
> > met:
> > |
> > | No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
>
> Yes; so we'll need to rework alsa-tools to allow it to be build without
> GTK.

Done at poky layer.

> > Trying to find the root cause of the error, I realized that a couple of
> > things do not seem to be right.
> > 1. alsa-tools should have gtk+ added to DEPENDS, as gtk+ is not optional,
> > but adding gtk+ creates another problem:
> > | checking for CAIRO_BACKEND... no
> > | configure: error: Package requirements (cairo-xlib >= 1.6) were not
> met:
> > |
> > | No package 'cairo-xlib' found
> > |
> > | Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> > | installed software in a non-standard prefix.
> > |
> > | Alternatively, you may set the environment variables
> CAIRO_BACKEND_CFLAGS
> > | and CAIRO_BACKEND_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> > | See the pkg-config man page for more details.
> > | Configure failed. The contents of all config.log files follows to aid
> > debugging
> > | ERROR: oe_runconf failed
> > | ERROR: Function failed: do_configure (see
> >
> /home/freescale/Software/BSPs/fsl-community-bsp/build-master-poky-nox/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/gtk+/2.24.15-r0/temp/log.do_configure.13382
> > for further information)
> > ERROR: Task 5
> >
> (/home/freescale/Software/BSPs/fsl-community-bsp/sources/poky/meta/recipes-gnome/gtk+/gtk+_
> 2.24.15.bb,
> > do_configure) failed with exit code '1'
> > NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1354 tasks of which 1235 didn't need to be
> > rerun and 1 failed.
> > No currently running tasks (1354 of 1362)
>
> I think you could avoid it, avoiding the GTK requirement.

I ended up by adding a Makefile patch when x11 is not in distro to remove
three more alsa-tools sub-modules that explicitly depend on gtk+.

> > 2. Even if I remove the alsa-tools subprojects that unconditionally
> depend
> > on gtk+ (patching alsa-tools Makefile like they do in poky already), gtk+
> > reverse dependencies show me that librsvg, which gst-plugins-bad depends
> on,
> > also depends on gtk+.
>
> This will need to  be workedout as well; the librsvg needs to be
> conditional to 'x11' distro feature.

Done at poky layer.

> > With this in mind, I was trying to change recipes to build gtk+ for
> > linux-fb, but version 2.24.15 does not seem to support this backend.
>
> It can work wiht DirectFB AFAIK.

It can with DirectFB, but not with pure FB. At least this version.

> > I'm thinking now that when x11 is not in DISTRO_FEATURES the right thing
> > do would be to eliminate alsa-tools from packagegroup-fsl and to disable
> > librsvg from gst-plugins-bad. But before proceeding with this path I
> wanted
> > to check for other thoughts...
>
> Not dropping but reworking it so it can work.

I went back to my original plan and fixed the issues at poky layer.

Thanks for the comments.
Rogerio.