[linux-yocto] Missing Kernel Modules (GPU folder and radeon.ko)

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue Jun 23 13:16:55 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-23 11:27 AM, Chen, Simon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to integrate the AMD Radeon E8860 graphics card on to a
> Yocto (poky-dizzy-12.0.1) embedded machine. Ialready have the open
> source xf86-video-ati driver (7.4.0) installed into my Yocto image. The
> problem is that the kernel module radeon.ko, and all of its dependencies
> under the GPU and I2C folders seems to be missing from the kernel.
> Without these .ko files, Yocto cannot recognize the external graphics
> card, and udev cannot generate an appropriate device node
> (/dev/dri/card0) for Xorg to use.
>
> I’ve already tried adding the following line to my local.conf:
>
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = "kernel-modules"

How are you invoking the rebuild of the kernel modules after you've
added them via menuconfig ?

kernel-modules is a meta package that has embedded RDEPENDS on
individual kernel module packages. If you are rebuilding the kernel,
but not re-building and repacking the kernel modules then any additions
won't be in the RDEPENDS and hence won't make it to the image.

Bruce