[linux-yocto] Missing Kernel Modules (GPU folder and radeon.ko)

Chen, Simon simon.chen at lmco.com
Tue Jun 23 08:27:11 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I am trying to integrate the AMD Radeon E8860 graphics card on to a Yocto (poky-dizzy-12.0.1) embedded machine. Ialready have the open source xf86-video-ati driver (7.4.0) installed into my Yocto image. The problem is that the kernel module radeon.ko, and all of its dependencies under the GPU and I2C folders seems to be missing from the kernel. Without these .ko files, Yocto cannot recognize the external graphics card, and udev cannot generate an appropriate device node (/dev/dri/card0) for Xorg to use.

I've already tried adding the following line to my local.conf:

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = "kernel-modules"

This populates the file system with .ko's but none seem to be the ones I need for my graphics card to run, which are radeon.ko, drm.ko, drm_kms_helper.ko, ttm.ko, and i2c_algo_bit.ko. I am missing the entire lib/modules/<KERNEL_VERSION>/kernel/drivers/gpu folder and also most of the contents in lib/modules/<KERNEL_VERSION/kernel/drivers/i2c.

I wondered if it was just a matter of implementing the .config file correctly. But I've already executed "$bitbake linux-yocto -c menconfig" and enabled the appropriate configuration flags for each of these modules. Perhaps this just a matter of appending to the kernel.bbclass file which is responsible for executing the kernel Makefiles, and building these .ko's?

Can you guys please check your own lib/modules/<KERNEL_VERSION>/kernel directory to see that these .ko's exist? I'd like to know if there is something else that isn't enabled or included into the build, or if it's something I need to hardcode in order to fix this issue.

Thanks,
Simon