[linux-yocto] [yocto] A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 19:12:01 PST 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 5:20 AM, Insop Song <insop.song at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Bruce Ashfield
> <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
>

>>> 2. if I do this, it builds and seems okay, but how to set so that your
>>> "edf.cfg" can be applied as part of bitbaking?
>>

>> I didn't have an "enable" fragment available, since I was the only
>> user and was still testing :) I just pushed a changed to the 3.8
>> repository for this.
>>
>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.8/commit/?h=meta&id=cc572ff970662c844c0a8dd2dab93cc10b8b2a3f
>>
>> You'd want KERNEL_FEATURES=" cfg/edf.scc"
>>
>> to use this fragment in your builds. But note! Until I push
>> SRCREV updates to the main yocto branches and repository, you'll
>> need to make sure your mSRCREV_meta is the commit I point to above.
>>

> I've added KERNEL_FEATURES at here
> https://github.com/insop/meta-realtime/blob/yocto-3.8/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bbappend
> Q1. Would you suggested to put KERNEL_FEATURES at the
> meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bb file instead?

Adding a kernel feature via your bbappend is the right thing to do. Only
core features that we use for the qemu references in oe-core appear in
the main linux-yocto recipes, so you've got it right.

> Q2. "mSRCREV_meta" in your previous mail, did you mean "prepending m" to SRCREV?
> and post-pend _meta_realtime in my case?
> BTW, I've updated SRCREV at linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bb

Just set it in your bbappend. I'll be updating the master SRCREVs, once
I've consolidated and tested my latest queue of changes.

>>> 3. one way that I've tried is to pull out edf.cfg from yocto-kernel to
>>> "meta-realtime/recipes-kernel". (see other email more details).
>>> Is it okay?
>>

>> We want to keep configuration fragments in a centralized place, since
>> as I tweak them over time, the ones I can't see will get out of sync.
>> And if you tweak/tune it, other users of the kernel in other layers or
>> ways, won't get the benefit of your changes.
>>
>> I'm not saying that people aren't free to do this (they are, since
>> I can't force them), and it definitely gets your immediate work moving,
>> but we should try and consoldate/share as much as possible.
>>

> If I use the cfg that is part of yocto-kernel, then it make sense not
> to put custom meta location.

Agreed!

Cheers,

Bruce