[linux-yocto] [yocto] A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer

Insop Song insop.song at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 02:20:20 PST 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

>> 2. if I do this, it builds and seems okay, but how to set so that your
>> "edf.cfg" can be applied as part of bitbaking?
>

> I didn't have an "enable" fragment available, since I was the only
> user and was still testing :) I just pushed a changed to the 3.8
> repository for this.
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.8/commit/?h=meta&id=cc572ff970662c844c0a8dd2dab93cc10b8b2a3f
>
> You'd want KERNEL_FEATURES=" cfg/edf.scc"
>
> to use this fragment in your builds. But note! Until I push
> SRCREV updates to the main yocto branches and repository, you'll
> need to make sure your mSRCREV_meta is the commit I point to above.

I've added KERNEL_FEATURES at here
https://github.com/insop/meta-realtime/blob/yocto-3.8/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bbappend
Q1. Would you suggested to put KERNEL_FEATURES at the
meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bb file instead?

Q2. "mSRCREV_meta" in your previous mail, did you mean "prepending m" to SRCREV?
and post-pend _meta_realtime in my case?
BTW, I've updated SRCREV at linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bb

>> 3. one way that I've tried is to pull out edf.cfg from yocto-kernel to
>> "meta-realtime/recipes-kernel". (see other email more details).
>> Is it okay?
>

> We want to keep configuration fragments in a centralized place, since
> as I tweak them over time, the ones I can't see will get out of sync.
> And if you tweak/tune it, other users of the kernel in other layers or
> ways, won't get the benefit of your changes.
>
> I'm not saying that people aren't free to do this (they are, since
> I can't force them), and it definitely gets your immediate work moving,
> but we should try and consoldate/share as much as possible.

If I use the cfg that is part of yocto-kernel, then it make sense not
to put custom meta location.

Thank you.

Insop