[Automated-testing] Linaro Connect Report

Matt Hart matthew.hart at linaro.org
Thu Apr 11 08:06:03 PDT 2019

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 15:08, Dave Pigott <dave.pigott at linaro.org> wrote:

> > On 11 Apr 2019, at 01:51, <daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp> <daniel.sangorrin at toshiba.co.jp> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the report Dan!
> >
> >> From: Dan Rue
> > [...]
> >> - Core pdu api actions: on, off, status
> >> - Core relay api actions: on, off, ???
> >
> > I think that we also talked about "reset" (or "reboot", but I think that "reset" is a better verb because it implies that the operation is _forced_ unlike "reboot" which is usually done by the OS).
> > I am not an expert about PDUs/Relays but it seems that "reset" can be realized by combining the "on" and "off" (experts, please correct me if I am wrong) operations. That should work if the driver knows the limitations of the PDU and can add the necessary delays. In that case, I guess we can safely leave out the "reset" operation.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I’ve added you to the PDU control document so you can comment.
>
> We can implement reset within the daemon by, as you say, sending off, pause and then on.

PDUDaemon already uses "reboot" but I'm happy to switch to "reset", or
more likely just accept both so as not to break existing users.

"Reset" is just a wrapper around off/on but it's a common operation in
automated testing so I think it's fine to have it specified in this
document, and at the same time a client/user doesn't need to know if
the PDU can support it directly as the drivers already handle it for
them.
I'm only expecting to need to add "status" as an command to PDUDaemon,
when the devices support it. On/Off/Reboot are already accepted, it
wouldn't be a very useful power control daemon otherwise.