[Automated-testing] RFC - Automated Testing Summit proposal

Neil Williams neil.williams at linaro.org
Mon Oct 1 23:31:41 PDT 2018

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 at 19:00, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM, <Tim.Bird at sony.com> wrote:
>
>> If you are interested in this, please either respond to this e-mail, or
>> (better)
>> add your name to the wiki page under "interested in attending".  Sorry,
>> but expressing interest does not guarantee an invitation to the event.
>> I'm still not sure, at this point, whether the summit will be open to the
>> public
>> or invitation-only.  It's all still in flux.  Suggestions or pros/cons on
>> this
>> topic are welcome.
>>

> At its most polite, wouldn't an invitation-only stance to an open-source
> project smack of elitism and clique-y-ness? While it might engender
> solidarity among "the chosen few", wouldn't it mostly serve to drive the
> majority away, who will end up implementing their own strategies?

The intention is to allow for useful discussion and that is much easier to
achieve with a relatively small group. Discussions in very large groups
often take years to get to any consensus. I've been involved in Debian for
over 12 years, it certainly does take years when everyone is allowed to
participate, so sometimes small groups in Debian go off and brainstorm -
with beer - and come back with a plan which can be discussed. It is much
more efficient than trying to have everyone inputting into the plan before
there is even a rough idea of how what the questions are. So if
invitation-only is good enough - at times - for a free software project the
size of Debian, it's good enough for automation testing too. Just to frame
the questions.

> Ironic, considering your stated goal is to unify the testing landscape,
> not to further fragment it.

Coming up with something a bit rough which can then be promoted to everyone
else at least allows the discussion to be framed and the decisions to be
scoped. Free software doesn't have to be disorganised.

> Maybe ELC(E) should be invite-only too? If it's good enough for the kernel
> people...

That kind of comment is unhelpful.

Neil Williams
neil.williams at linaro.org