[Automated-testing] Looking for a Debian kernel provisioning solution

Paweł Wieczorek p.wieczorek2 at samsung.com
Mon Feb 19 10:24:39 PST 2018

On 16/02/18 19:47, Tim.Bird at sony.com wrote:
>> From: Paweł Wieczorek
>>
>> Hi Tim, Marco, Miłosz,

>> section)?
>>> It's already listed there :)

>> there
>>> I think it might be the same talk Pawel gave at FOSDEM. In such case I
>>> think it's really worth attending. I hope Samsung guys will open the
>>> software they talk about. As far as I understood they're working also
>>> on new revision of the board as the NanoPi v1.3 is different to what
>>> there was in 1.2.
>> You are correct - talk at ELC will cover both hardware and software. I
>> will bring a few MuxPis (probably current revision) with me to
>> demonstrate them at Technical Showcase.
>>
>> Process of moving software development open-source is still ongoing. I
>> hope we will manage to complete it (or at least its major parts) before ELC.
> I'm looking forward to the talk, and to maybe having a side chat about
> how you've got things layered (boruta, weles, perun).  I'd like to collect
> information on the different ways people have the DUT control
> software layered, and what pros and cons there are to the different
> approaches.
>
> See you at ELC!
>   -- Tim
>
> P.S.  Actually, I'll ask one question now.  I recently started using a
> program called 'dlipower' to manage my DLI web powerswitch.  It's
> written in python and talks to the power switch using an http interface.
> Would something like this integrate into your system at some layer, or
> does your system require the power management of a board to go
> through MuxPi?  If it can fit in your system, where would it run?
> That is, would your nanoPi be able to run the 'dlipower' command,
> or would it run on the host?

In our system each target device gets its own supervisor (DUT-S: NanoPi)
and controller (DUT-C: MuxPi):

.-----.-------.-------.
'-----'-------'-------'   |
.-----.-------.-------.   |   /        \
'-----'-------'-------'   |   \________/

.-----.-------.-------.   |
| DUT | DUT-C | DUT-S +---+
'-----'-------'-------'

Correct me if I am wrong - I assume that using DLI powerswitch would
force DUTs to share a single controller:

.-----.-------.-------.
'-----+       +-------'   |
.-----+       +-------.   |   /        \
| DUT | DUT-C | DUT-S +---+---+ Boruta +--- etc.
'-----+       +-------'   |   \________/
       |       |           |
.-----+       +-------.   |
| DUT |       | DUT-S +---+
'-----'-------'-------'

Running "dlipower" commands could and should be done on supervisor
(NanoPi), but target devices would no longer be independent. Board
control is kept at DUT-C/DUT-S level and is completely separated from
the rest of the stack (Boruta, Weles, Perun), so no further changes in
any other layer would be required.

I hope that clarifies it. Do let me know if you have further questions.

See you at ELC!

All the best,

Paweł Wieczorek
Samsung R&D Institute Poland