[Automated-testing] Farming together - areas of collobration

Matthew McClintock msm-oss at mcclintock.net
Tue Feb 13 07:20:02 PST 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM,  <Tim.Bird at sony.com> wrote:
> One thing I've observed is that there are substantial differences
> in the level of abstraction and the board management architecture
> for these different systems.

I've always thought step one is creating an abstraction to describe a
board farm setup. Then the various tools can link into that to run
what's required. It's also easier to add support for standalone
components when an external tool can just request generic support for
something like a power relay, network switch, etc. Whichever tool(s)
does useful things on top of that will win, and you can (more) easily
move from one tool to another, and all components and small and spread
out.

Not sure if something like that exists exactly already... it would be
nice to share a small test that runs on my infra at home (smallish) or
the lab at work (larger) and everyone else's lab across the world that
uses the library that describes how your board is setup, what devices
are present, topology, etc.

-M