[Automated-testing] Automated testing with LAVA

Alan Bennett alan.bennett at linaro.org
Thu Sep 4 10:14:05 PDT 2014

Next Friday works for us.

Some highlights from the last few months

+++LAVA is now available as a debian package
 - easier to install, but it still takes dev-hardware admin experts to
manage an automation lab

+++Daily 'cronjob' OE boot testing being performed on a few more targets,
we are now performing 30 daily boot tests
Builds being boot tested
    minimal, minimal-dev, sato-dev, sato-sdk, sato
Architectures
    Beaglebone Black, qemu-arm, qemu-ppc, qemu-mips, qemu-x86, qemu-x86_64

Moved the image report to our 'staging' server
https://staging.validation.linaro.org/dashboard/image-charts/OE_Daily-LAVA_Actions

+++We've added some default device types for the popular qemu devices and
I'll post a blog on enabling the OE+QEMU+Autobuilder setup shortly as it is
now very straight forward to setup a QEMU + LAVA system for testing

Linaro Connect Sessions
====================
lava-dispatcher Re-factoring
'Working to make our hw management 'smarter'
http://lcu14.zerista.com/event/member/137733

LAVA USE Case - ST using LAVA for SW 'cross-distribution' testing & failure
reproduction
http://lcu14.zerista.com/event/member/137737

Managing a LAVA Lab with the new Debian Packages
'install, manage and upgrade LAVA using the debian packages'
'includes a solicitation for an OE package maintainer'
http://lcu14.zerista.com/event/member/137767

LAVA & the Upstream Kernel CI initiative
'How we are creating a system truly meant to serve the upstream kernel
developers and LAVA'
http://lcu14.zerista.com/event/member/137728

Alan

On 4 September 2014 10:22, William Mills <wmills at ti.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>

> On 09/04/2014 11:50 AM, Tim Bird wrote:
>
>> On 09/04/2014 04:23 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>>
>>> As some of you may know, over the last few months we've been working
>>> through
>>> some exercises with LAVA attempting to see how it could be integrated
>>> into the
>>> Yocto Project QA workflow. At this point I think we've reached some
>>> conclusions
>>> about how it's currently working, and I'd like to schedule a meeting to
>>> discuss that with interested parties some time next week (perhaps on a
>>> hangout
>>> as previously?)
>>>
>>> It also strikes me that this mailing list has gone a little quiet lately,
>>> we've not had a meeting for a while and I've not really heard anything
>>> from
>>> other folks working on LAVA integration - it would be good to get an
>>> update on
>>> how that is going.
>>>

>> The LTSI project is just getting ready for public beta of our
>> test platform.  We ended up not going with LAVA.  I'm not sure
>> if this list (or the proposed meeting) is the appropriate place to discuss
>> this.  It sounds like this list is really geared towards LAVA as
>> the preferred Yocto testing solution.
>>
>> Let me know if there's any interest in discussing non-LAVA solutions
>> in the future.
>>

> I am a proponent of LAVA however, I think this list should be open to
> all automated testing concerning Yocto and/or embedded systems.
>
> After all, there are multiple levels to the test problem:
> * HW level instrumentation
> * Test bed control
> * Test runners (ex the thing that runs LTP)
> * Test sets (ex LTP)
> * Test infrastructure (ex thing that schedules LTP to run etc)
> * Test result collection
> * Test result analysis
> * Test result presentation
>
> I think there is plenty of value is sharing techniques and even SW on
> some of those levels even if the parties are not aligned on all of them.
>
> I am a proponent of LAVA most simply because I believe it has the most
> momentum and biggest team behind it.  (Frankly the same reason I am a
> proponent of openembedded and Yocto Project.)
>

>  Could you let me know your availability for a meeting next week
>>> (especially
>>> those on CC, but others are welcome)? I would tentatively suggest Friday
>>> UK
>>> evening / US Pacific morning time - would that work?
>>>
>> --

Alan Bennett, Director of Product Technology
Linaro.org <http://www.linaro.org/> *│ *Open source software for ARM SoCs |
Follow Linaro*:* Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> | Twitter
<http://twitter.com/#%21/linaroorg> | Blog
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/>