[Automated-testing] Automated testing with LAVA

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Thu Sep 4 09:22:39 PDT 2014

Tim,

On 09/04/2014 11:50 AM, Tim Bird wrote:
> On 09/04/2014 04:23 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>> As some of you may know, over the last few months we've been working through
>> some exercises with LAVA attempting to see how it could be integrated into the
>> Yocto Project QA workflow. At this point I think we've reached some conclusions
>> about how it's currently working, and I'd like to schedule a meeting to
>> discuss that with interested parties some time next week (perhaps on a hangout
>> as previously?)
>>
>> It also strikes me that this mailing list has gone a little quiet lately,
>> we've not had a meeting for a while and I've not really heard anything from
>> other folks working on LAVA integration - it would be good to get an update on
>> how that is going.
>
> The LTSI project is just getting ready for public beta of our
> test platform.  We ended up not going with LAVA.  I'm not sure
> if this list (or the proposed meeting) is the appropriate place to discuss
> this.  It sounds like this list is really geared towards LAVA as
> the preferred Yocto testing solution.
>
> Let me know if there's any interest in discussing non-LAVA solutions
> in the future.

I am a proponent of LAVA however, I think this list should be open to
all automated testing concerning Yocto and/or embedded systems.

After all, there are multiple levels to the test problem:
* HW level instrumentation
* Test bed control
* Test runners (ex the thing that runs LTP)
* Test sets (ex LTP)
* Test infrastructure (ex thing that schedules LTP to run etc)
* Test result collection
* Test result analysis
* Test result presentation

I think there is plenty of value is sharing techniques and even SW on
some of those levels even if the parties are not aligned on all of them.

I am a proponent of LAVA most simply because I believe it has the most
momentum and biggest team behind it.  (Frankly the same reason I am a
proponent of openembedded and Yocto Project.)