[yocto] devtool modify both target and native recipe

Josias Inacio da Silva Filho josiasinacio at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:15:30 PDT 2019

I have a recipe that supports building both native and target, however I noticed only one can be modified at a time.

If I try doing:
$ devtool modify myrecipe path_x
$ devtool modify myrecipe-native path_x

It complains saying I can only modify one variant at a time.

The way to get around this issue was to go into build/workspace/appends/myrecipe and change this line:

EXTERNALSRC_pn-myrecipe = path_x

To this:
EXTERNALSRC = path_x

But I wanted to have a proper solution for this. I also saw this comment in the file:
# NOTE: We use pn- overrides here to avoid affecting multiple variants in the case where the recipe uses BBCLASSEXTEND

Is there a way to disable that?