[yocto] Debug-files in SDK

Ross Burton ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Sep 12 03:52:12 PDT 2019

On 12/09/2019 11:13, Teemu K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not entirely sure if this is bug or feature.
>
> I've created sdk to my image with populate_sdk - command. I noticed
> that in the SDK the x86_64 - directory is 384MB and that contains all
> the toolchains etc., but the target side
> (cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi) is 5.7GB. Majority of it is in
> .debug - directories.
>
> What causes the confusion here is that I haven't enabled debug-symbols
> in my local.conf and I don't have any other debug stuff enabled there
> either. Are those the debug-symbols that can be used to debug software
> on target with GDB for example? I thought that debug symbol
> information needs to be separately enabled.
>
> If they are not, then can I get rid of them somehow?

SDKIMAGE_FEATURES ??= "dev-pkgs dbg-pkgs src-pkgs
${@bb.utils.contains('DISTRO_FEATURES', 'api-documentation', 'doc-pkgs',
'', d)}"

SDKs by default contain debug symbols, and yes they can be used with gdb
to debug on target.

If you don't want them in the SDK, remove dbg-pkgs (and src-pkgs whilst
you're there) from SDKIMAGE_FEATURES.

Ross