[yocto] Yocto Project Status WW37'19

sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 08:00:08 PDT 2019

Current Dev Position: YP 2.8 M4 Feature Freeze

Next Deadline: YP 3.0 Final Release 25th Oct

SWAT Team Rotation:

*	SWAT lead is currently: Paul
*	SWAT team rotation: Paul -> Ross on Sept. 13, 2019
*	SWAT team rotation: Ross -> Amanda on Sept. 20, 2019
*	 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Next Team Meetings:

*	Bug Triage meeting Thursday Sept 12th at 7:30am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/454367603> https://zoom.us/j/454367603)
*	Monthly Project Meeting Tuesday Oct. 1st at 8am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> https://zoom.us/j/990892712)
*	Weekly Engineering Sync Tuesday Sept. 10th at 8am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> https://zoom.us/j/990892712)
*	Twitch - Next event is Tuesday Sept. 10th at 8am PDT (
<https://www.twitch.tv/yocto_project> https://www.twitch.tv/yocto_project)

Key Status/Updates:

*	We're now in feature freeze for 3.0 and working on bug fixing for
final release
*	We have not built M3 yet as some work still remains for us to be
feature complete and ready for QA. This puts us behind schedule but the plan
is to complete the key features we've planned rather than adhere strictly to
dates. We hope to make up time during M4 by having M3 at high quality and
take advantage of our automation.
*	RP is away for the rest of the week which means M3 progress will be
limited this week, Ross will queue patches.
*	Key 3.0 changes have now merged:

*	5.2 linux-libc-kernel-headers
*	5.2 kernel recipes by default for all reference BSPs
*	Removal of LSB and poky-lsb and replacement with alt config testing
*	systemd by default for poky-altcfg
*	Patches have significantly reduced the dependency on python2
*	Reproducible builds are now being tested for core-image-minimal
*	Automated toolchain testsuite tests (binutils, gcc, glibc)

*	Key blocking issues for M3 that have been fixed:

*	Systemtap issues with 5.2 were debugged and patches sent/merged
upstream
*	5.2 dmesg on qemuarm64 fixed
*	qemumips hang when using highmem root caused and worked around (for
now)
*	mdadm ptest timeout worked around
*	quilt and libevent ptest regressions from M2 resolved

*	Remaining issues blocking M3:

*	systemd boot failure on qemumips
*	strace ptest timeout
*	Hash equivalence performance problems (RP has a simple idea to
~double speed)
*	Hash equivalence bugs
*	Toolchain testsuite relocation bugs (Nathan working on it)

*	Hash Equivalency status:

*	Ideas about removing some dependency information from the hashes to
allow faster bulk queries aren't viable so the current codebase approach is
correct
*	we need to rework the client/server communication to scale to the
autobuilder
*	there are some bugs in the code the autobuilder continues to expose
*	we have cases where its not 100% clear what the correct behaviour
should be
*	test cases are proving to be problematic to write in a maintainable
way

*	Documentation - Due to illness Scott is unavailable for the next
month or two so doc patches will be handled by Richard or Ross in the short
term. We'll likely limit them to correctness issues and defer any
substantial new text. If anyone has availability and skills to work on the
manuals please talk to us. We're aware there is a patch backlog.
*	If anyone has any status items for the project they'd like to add to
the weekly reports, please email Richard+Stephen.

Planned Releases for YP 3.0 {2.8}:

*	M3 Release 6th Sept
*	M4 Cutoff 30th Sept - this will be YP 3.0.
*	YP 3.0 {2.8 (M4)} Final Release 25th Oct

Planned upcoming dot releases:

*	YP 2.7.2 (Warrior) is planned for after YP 3.0 release.
*	YP 2.6.4 (Thud) is planned for after YP 2.7.2  release.

Tracking Metrics:

*	WDD 2424 (last week 2413) (
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
*	Poky Patch Metrics

*	Total patches found: 1417 (last week 1470)
*	Patches in the Pending State: 582 (41%) [last week 611 (42%)]

Key Status Links for YP:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.8_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.8_Status

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Schedule>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Schedule

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Features>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Features

The Yocto Project's technical governance is through its Technical Steering
Committee, more information is available at:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you'd like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley

Yocto Project Project Manager

*    Cell:                (208) 244-4460

* Email:              sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com
<mailto:sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com>