[yocto] Working with symbolic links in recipes?

Aaron Biver aaron.biver at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 09:13:51 PDT 2019

In short, I'd like to have my recipe know the name of a file that is a
symbolic link, as in "readlink" and the linux prompt.- preferably before
populating SRC_URI, but this is not working (so I guess random shell
scripts are not doable in recipes):
LINK_TARGET=`readlink -f ${LATEST_VER}`
SRC_URI = "file://${LINK_TARGET}"

Reasoning, if it matters, and in case there is a better way to do what I am
doing:

I have a bitbake recipe that includes a subproject that contains a binary
that I want to "wrap".  the binaries change occasionally, with the revision
reflected in the name.
So, one version might include "myfile-00-00-01.bin" and the subsequent
version is "myfile-00-00-02.bin"

In the past, I have edited my bitbake recipe to contain the substring of
the most recent version of the binary file... so updating the subproject
that has these binaries necessitates updating the substring, say updating a
variable from "00-00-01" to "00-00-02".

I'd prefer to have this done automatically, BUT STILL HAVE THE VERSION
SUBSTRING IN THE BITBAKE RECIPE.  This is because I want my recipe to
create a wrapped file that has thversion substring in it.

I'd really like to have the subproject have a "myfile-latest.bin" which is
a link to "myfile-00-00-02.bin", and have the recipe use readlink to get
the target of the link before it populates SRC_URI, so it can know the link
target's "real" name.

Right now, including the name of the link in SRC_URI causes a file to get
copied over the build area that is not a link.