[yocto] Minutes: Yocto Project Technical Team Meeting, 8/27/2019

Reyna, David david.reyna at windriver.com
Sun Sep 1 02:39:11 PDT 2019

Minutes: Yocto Project Technical Team Meeting
When: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 8:00 AM-9:00 AM 1.
Attending: Richard, Armin, Michael, David, TrevorW, Tim, Vineela,  Randy, Joshua, Manju, Alex Kanavin, Scott, TrevorG, Bruce

* Richard: General notes

  - Just sent weekly update "[OE-core] Yocto Project Status WW35'19"

  - M3 is over, we are now in feature freeze for M4

  - Patch merge in progress, backlog for M3

  - Systemd (as default) versus SysVinit still in progress

  - Removal of LSB, test builder not set up yet

  - Many patches for hash equivalency

  - Joshua has many patches for reproducible builds (tested without sstate), problems with existing sstate. Richard: always build from scratch.

* Manju: status of patch set for devtool? Richard is reviewing them.

* AR: Triage Team: provide list of respective bugs to Xilinx for review

* Manju: Is WIC the only way to create images to SD Card? Richard: WIC is preferred - any errors in WIC should be filed as defects. Manju: ramfs preparation has race condition. Scott: meta-raspberrypi did use "mkimg" but now has WIC support.

* Manju: Status of Nathan's patches? Richard needs time to review them.

* Scott: The 2.8 list versus Python2 status? Notes that python2 goes unsupported this December. Richard: people currently treating this as a low priority (but will probably heighten when we get closer). Bruce has patch set for the perf/kernel, and this will be a big step forward to removing Python2. Richard: someone should do a scan on the remaining Python2 usage. Question: libftd? Richard: no, low priority. High priority are target tools over host/build tools.

* Bruce: will send 5.2 kernel and libc headers. Will check default BSPs.

* Richard: will need to merge each patch set in isolation given the number of merge failures he has been encountering.

* Manju: Is there a way to choose system versus SysVinit? Richard: yes there is an init manager variable that you can set. We are not dropping SysVinit but switch to system as default. Poky-init, poky-alternate. Richard: 4 different variants - tiny/busybox/..., system size constraints.

Notes from ELC BOF:

* Joshua: a lot of people want an LTS. Armin: specifically they like CVEs applied/backported to stable branches. Richard: people want no changes but all the features. Joshua: LTS to help convince silicon vendors to stabilize on releases (e.g. kernel has LTS releases). Richard: kernel has 4 releases a year where YP has two, so cadence is good. We could do a major/minor release designation but then which release gets which designation? Manju: mostly looking for CVE patches for last 2-3 years. Khem's general answer was to "send patches", not just let other people do the work.

* David: Questions about low activity on the security mailing list. Richard: most CVE patches are managed via normal patches. Armin: the person was looking for a security team. Tim: is he volunteering? Richard: we do fix the important stuff. David will follow up on team question.

* Manju: has a sstate-cache paper, covering their 600 gbyte sstate-cache. Richard: excellent paper for ELCE YP summit.

* Richard out next Tuesday. Stephen still out next week.

- David