[yocto] [EXTERNAL] Re: Issues adding bare meta toolchain to yocto build

richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Oct 24 08:55:59 PDT 2019

On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 15:37 +0000, Westermann, Oliver wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 04:01 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > If its a native recipe, there are no packages and therefore FILES
> > doesn't make sense.
>
> Oh, I have to admit I'm pretty new to the concept of the native
> packages.
> Where can I find the list of files that are considered to be
> installed into a "native" packages sysroot?

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/staging.bbclass

SYSROOT_DIRS_NATIVE vs. just SYSROOT_DIRS
(at the top of the file)

The code which uses these is below in that file and handles which files
get "staged". We stage a different set for native and target.

> An good option for me would be to eg. install the toolchain into the
> native sysroots /opt/ dir for usage by other recipes.

You can probably do that by extending SYSROOT_DIRS in the recipe.

> > Can you confirm that recipe does work?
>
> For the TI recipe, no, I can't. I found it online and used it as a
> guide for my first steps on the topic.
>

> > If you install the binaries into ${bindir} they will. If you place
> > them
> > somewhere else which the system doesn't know about, they probably
> > won't.
> >
> > There are ways to make alternative locations work but I don't see
> > any
> > of that in the above recipe.
>
> Can you point me to these ways? :)

See above, easiest is extending SYSROOT_DIRS.

> > There isn't anything that special about a baremetal compiler except
> > it sets some different default flags and is missing the library
> > support.
>
> I agree, though using linaro has the benefit that we would use the
> same toolchain in yocto as in "regular development" of the m4
> functionality.

Agreed. If you want a newlib compiler (which is a bit more than
baremetal as I understand the term) you'd need a multiconfig build to
generate one too as discussed in the other part of the thread.

Cheers,

Richard