[yocto] [wpe-webkit] Optimising imx6 performance for HTML5 using Cog + WPE WebKit

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Wed Oct 23 04:57:25 PDT 2019

On 23/10/2019 13:27, Andy Pont wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Broadening this out to the Freescale and Yocto mailing lists to see if
> any one has any answers…
>
> We are using Cog and WPE Webkit on an i.MX6 Solo based board with a user
> interface that is based on HTML5, Javascript and CSS and are having some
> issues with fading and other canvas effects.  The board is running a
> Yocto image with the following in conf/local.conf:
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/wpebackend = "wpebackend-rdk"
> PACKAGECONFIG_pn-wpebackend-rdk = "imx6"
>
> PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-cairo = " glesv2 egl"
> PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-wpewebkit = " 2dcanvas"
>
> We start the browser with the following command line:
>
> cog --enable-accelerated-2d-canvas=1 appui/index.html

How the performance compares if you disable accelerated-2d-canvas?
It gets worse or its the same?

> Are there any other settings we should be using either in the Yocto
> build or when launching Cog as we are finding the CPU usage is >90%?
>
> Is there a definitive way to show that all of the necessary drivers are
> loaded and Cog is making use of the GPU?
>
> I have tried this with Cog 0.3.0 built with WPE WebKit 2.24.1 and Cog
> 0.4.0 built with WPE WebKit 2.26.1 and both give the same dissappointing
> results, as does running on the iMX6Q-SDP board I also have here.

Usually on the web application side there are different things that can
be optimized to make it perform better on WPE.
I think it would be helpful to understand the problem if you can share a
demo of your web app where the performance problem can be easily reproduced.