[yocto] Issues adding bare meta toolchain to yocto build

Westermann, Oliver Oliver.Westermann at cognex.com
Wed Oct 23 04:23:41 PDT 2019

Hey,

I'm having issues adding a build for a bare metal target to my yocto toolchain. I've a NXP SoC with a M4 core and I would like to integrate the M4 binary build into yocto.
My M4 binary has a CMAKE file that depends on ARMGCC_DIR being set to locate the toolchain and everything works fine locally.

I've create a recipe for the toolchain that is heavily inspired by a TI recipe for the gcc-arm-none-eabi (available here: http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-ti/devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi_7-2018-q2-update.bb?h=master).
I've made sure that GCC_ARM_NONE_TOOLCHAIN_RECIPE is set.

After calling bitbake -cpopulate-sysroot gcc-arm-none-eabi-native the image/${GCC_ARM_NONE_TOOLCHAIN_RECIPE} path contains the complete toolchain.

My M4 recipe looks like this (plus SUMMARY, LICENSE, SRC_URI, ...):

inherit pkgconfig cmake
DEPENDS = "gcc-arm-none-eabi-native"

S = "${WORKDIR}/git "

EXTRA_OECMAKE = '-DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE="../armgcc.cmake" \
                 -G "Unix Makefiles" \
                 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release'

>From my understanding depending on gcc-arm-none-eabi-native should result in the native toolchain being installed into the m4's recipe-sysroot-native folder.
The sysroot-providers in the recipe-sysroot-native folder does list gcc-arm-none-eabi-native, but I don't get the files and therefore have no toolchain.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or how to debug this further?

Best regards, Olli