[yocto] Partitioning SD cards

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Mon Oct 14 05:53:23 PDT 2019

Maciej wrote...

>>How do I stop the wic generation process including the FAT formatted
>>“boot” partition?
>This depends on the wic (.wks) file you are using.
I have been using the default one (sdimage-bootpart.wks)?

>>What is the best strategy for partitioning / formatting / mounting the
>>second partition as /home?  Should it be part of the image build
>>process or a one-time task run at first boot?
>Use --exclude-path and --rootfs-dir flags in the .wks file.
>You can look at my example, where I extract one subdir from rootfs
>(/storage in this case) on a separate partition.
>https://github.com/3mdeb/meta-rte/blob/master/wic/sunxi-mmc-spl.wks
I have created a “wic” directory in my custom layer and copied
sdimage-bootpart.wks into it as sdimage-project.wks without making any
changes but “wic list image” throws an error with the new .wks file:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb0 in position 37:
invalid start byte

-Andy.