[yocto] Partitioning SD cards

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Mon Oct 14 05:13:36 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am working on a custom platform where U-Boot will be programmed into
an SPI NOR flash device and the ext4 file systems will be in a removable
microSD card.  The Linux kernel itself will be stored in the /boot
directory of the root file system.

The customer wants the (16GB) microSD card formatted as 1GB to mount at
/ and the remaining 15GB mounted as /home.

In the recipe for my image I have defined the following to try to create
a suitable image for writing to the microSD card:

IMAGE_FSTYPES_append = " wic"
IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE = “1048576”

The image file that is being created is bigger than 1GB even though the
root file system is only a little over 450MB.  Looking at the contents
of what gets written to the microSD card this looks as though it is, in
part, because it also includes the ~20MB “boot” partition containing the
boot files.

A couple of questions…

How do I stop the wic generation process including the FAT formatted
“boot” partition?

What is the best strategy for partitioning / formatting / mounting the
second partition as /home?  Should it be part of the image build process
or a one-time task run at first boot?

-Andy.