[yocto] using BBMULTICONFIG to create a 32-bit rootfs, kernel, u-boot that also includes a 64-bit kernel, u-boot for NXP i.mx6/i.mx8

Davis Roman davis.roman84 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 17:03:28 PDT 2019

Hello,

We're working on a Linux distro for two systems where one is based on
NXP i.mx6(32-bit,armv7) and the other i.mx8(64-bit,armv8).

I have two machine types defined in Yocto so individually I can build
either one however our goal is to create a single distro that can run on
both processors.

So the idea is to use BBMULTICONFIG(
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-BBMULTICONFIG
)
to build two separate images,

1) a 32-bit distro for an i.mx6
2) a 64-bit distro for an i.mx8

and then finally, take the 32-bit distro and add the 64-bit kernel+modules
and u-boot.

---------------------------------------
|--------------------------------------|
||           32-bit rootfs            ||
|--------------------------------------|
|-----------------   ----------------- |
|| 32-bit kernel |   |  64-bit kernel ||
|-----------------   ----------------- |
|-----------------   ----------------- |
|| 32-bit u-boot |   |  64-bit u-boot ||
|-----------------   ----------------- |
   i.mx6solo             i.mx8m mini

We've already tried our existing 32-bit rootfs + 64-bit kernel/u-boot on
the i.mx8 and the system runs.
So in theory, it should just be a matter of getting yocto to assemble all
the pieces together.

I don't have much experience with BBMULTICONFIG so any ideas or comments on
how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Davis