[yocto] newcomers

Randy MacLeod randy.macleod at windriver.com
Thu Oct 3 20:39:27 PDT 2019

On 10/3/19 12:38 PM, Maciej Pijanowski wrote:

> On 03.10.2019 18:33, Steve Scott wrote:
>>
>> How would a newcomer get started?

Welcome to the Yocto Project Steve!

Ideally, everything should be linked from:
    https://www.yoctoproject.org/
and there is, in fact a 'Get started here' link there:
    https://www.yoctoproject.org/software-overview/
which ends with a numbered list of documents for new devs/users
in the "New to the Yocto Project" section.

>> Is there an FAQ or Wiki that gives a developer overview of the
>> project,

The first link used to be called 'Getting Started' but now it's
called quick build:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.7.1/brief-yoctoprojectqs/brief-yoctoprojectqs.html

Oh and the Wikipedia page links to Yoctoproject.org too so that's good.

Do you think we need to simplify the landing page?

>> patch submission process, etc.?
>>
> This one is pretty accurate when it comes to patch submission process:
> https://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded
>>
>> It’s hard to jump on to the moving train…

Yes, there's lots to learn.

When I start new developers, I get them to clone poky and build
core-image-minimal which is prety much what:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/brief-yoctoprojectqs/brief-yoctoprojectqs.html
does except it uses core-image-sato.

The docs are quite verbose and some people prefer to learn by doing.
Do you think the, "Yocto Project Quick Build" is suitable for that
path?

../Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod