[yocto] 3.0 release notes / migration guide

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 2 15:20:02 PDT 2019

Hi folks

So it's that time again - we need to start building up the raw material for
the release notes and migration guide for the upcoming 3.0 release, and I'd
like to request some help with some parts of it - read on for details.

For the migration guide we have a wiki page serving as a staging area:

  https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FutureMigrationGuide

Things that should go in the migration guide: *anything* in the release that
would require someone who is upgrading to take some form of action (i.e.
change their configuration / recipes / etc.) Help with this from people who
implemented the changes or have already thought about / dealt with their
impact would be much appreciated.

There is a process where I look through all the commits since the last release
and pull out the ones that need to be mentioned in some form - other than the
migration guide items, the following needs to be gathered for the release
notes:

1) Features - new functionality. We need to capture what the feature is and
hopefully express the impact to the user succinctly.

2) Recipe upgrades - straightforward

3) CVE fixes - fairly straightforward, I just look for commits that explicitly
mention "CVE". If I can easily do so I'll also note where a recipe upgrade
fixes a CVE, but that isn't often readily available information.

4) Known issues - generally this is difficult to get from the commits since we
either find out about them after the commit that introduced the issue, or we
don't know that they aren't addressed until right at the end of the release.
We don't want to note *all* open bugs, but if there's something that the user
is likely to hit that wasn't an issue in the previous release then we should
note it.

For the release notes I need help with #4 and #1 in particular, so if you know
about anything in this release that falls into these categories then let me
know - just a pointer to the commit and any extra comments that you would want
to make would be helpful. In the mean time I will start the process of looking
through the commits and will add things to the migration guide page, but bear
in mind I don't always have all of the context for every change.

Thanks!
Paul

--
Paul Eggleton