[yocto] is there a rationale for YP using sysvinit as default init manager?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Nov 21 13:14:19 PST 2019

On Fri, 2019-11-22 at 10:08 +1300, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Friday, 22 November 2019 9:40:35 AM NZDT Richard Purdie wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-11-21 at 14:02 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   don't get me wrong, i have no problem with that, but a
> > > colleague
> > > asked me what the reason was for using sysvinit as the *default*.
> > > hemmed and hawed and suggested it was for simplicity and
> > > reliability,
> > > and that a lot of embedded systems didn't need the flashy
> > > features of
> > > systemd, and so on.
> > >
> > >   is there any short answer to give to that question?
> >
> > The project existed before systemd and we haven't changed the
> > default.
> >
> > We can change the default, it just means someone going through and
> > fixing the build failures it generates and rewriting all the test
> > metadata to invert poky and poky-altcfg. Personally I've got other
> > things I'd prefer to do...
>
> Kai was working on changing this in the last cycle but AFAICT not all
> issues were able to be resolved in time. Kai, do you have a status
> update?

We got so far and after looking at the position we ended up I decided
it was easier to switch poky-altcfg rather than change poky and/or OE
defaults. I resolved that bug as "complete" as we now had testing of
systemd on a near enough equal footing to sysvinit which was the
concern people had raised. There are problems in oe-selftest and some
other corner cases but nothing people seem to be running into day-to-
day.

There has been representation at OE meetings, in surveys and from YP
members for us not to switch the default FWIW.

Cheers,

Richard