[yocto] is there a rationale for YP using sysvinit as default init manager?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Nov 21 12:40:35 PST 2019

On Thu, 2019-11-21 at 14:02 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   don't get me wrong, i have no problem with that, but a colleague
> asked me what the reason was for using sysvinit as the *default*. i
> hemmed and hawed and suggested it was for simplicity and reliability,
> and that a lot of embedded systems didn't need the flashy features of
> systemd, and so on.
>
>   is there any short answer to give to that question?

The project existed before systemd and we haven't changed the default.

We can change the default, it just means someone going through and
fixing the build failures it generates and rewriting all the test
metadata to invert poky and poky-altcfg. Personally I've got other
things I'd prefer to do...

Cheers,

Richard