[yocto] Is Yocto the right fit for my project?

Josef Holzmayr holzmayr at rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Thu Nov 21 01:34:17 PST 2019

Howdy!

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 01:12:52PM +0000, Richard Barrass wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a lead engineer on project where we run a well-known Linux distribution on-top of a SBC (Intel Quad Pentium processor based) driving a 27" display. We have a 32GB SSD to run from, which we partition with multiple EXT4 partitions to help with potential corruption mitigation if the device is switched off 'hard'.
>
> But, with the well-known Linux distribution comes a lot of things we don't need, plus the potential ability to 'break' in to our application which is running full-screen.
>
> We basically need
>
> QT 5.12 runtime (our application)
> SSH
> OpenVPN
> Wifi
> Ethernet
> Modem (via Telit modem)
> USB-ACM
> USB-Memory stick
>
> Is this something I should be looking to the yocto project for, or should I be looking at a more 'traditional' custom linux distro.

Certainly doable.

> The only other aspect, is that we have future plans to cost reduce the application to be running on a Pi based, 10" display system ...

If thats a set goal, then it makes YP even more interesting for you.

> Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Prepare for a steep learning curve and a lot of headshaking each time
you say "but I just want to". But you will be rewarded with an awesome
amount of control and power if you make it through.

Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4M5FoHz-TxMfBFrDKfIS_GLY25Qsfyj
to get an idea how things work.

Greetz

> Regards
> Richard
>
> --
> Richard Barrass
>
> [BassettElectronicSystemsLtd_Logo]
> Bassett Electronic Systems Ltd. Solutions under one roof.
> T: 01793 859974 E: r.barrass at bassettelectronics.com<mailto:r.barrass at bassettelectronics.com>
> Unit 23-25 Whitehill Industrial Estate, Whitehill Lane, Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, SN4 7DB

———————————————
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548