[yocto] Install native recipe into filesystem

Randy MacLeod randy.macleod at windriver.com
Tue Nov 19 17:34:05 PST 2019

On 11/19/19 4:15 PM, Jeff Kaisner wrote:
> We have several executables that can run on the target (ARM64) but also
> on the host system (x86).  I added the BBCLASSEXTEND = "native" and can
> build all the recipes in native mode.

What do you mean here by 'in native mode'? I'd expect that you mean:
    $ bitbake somepackage-native
Right?

A few explanations related to your question are here:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Technical_FAQ#What_does_.22native.22_mean.3F
and here:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Technical_FAQ#Why_are_all_of_these_-native_items_being_built_when_my_host_distro_has_some_of_these_available.3F

 > Once done, I would like to be
 > able to install them on the host system, but don’t see a package for
 > them (or understand that part of the process).

You don't add -native package to the target system; they are for the
build (host) system to help build object files for the target machine.

You can either edit the conf/local.conf file then build a standard image
or define your own image. For the former:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Cookbook:Example:Adding_packages_to_your_OS_image

Additional details are in the YP Mega Manual:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/mega-manual/mega-manual.html

Good luck and welcome to the Yocto Project,

../Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux