[yocto] Using GitLab for OE/Yocto layers

Ross Burton ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Nov 7 01:15:21 PST 2019

On 06/11/2019 21:41, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> 1. Patch review
>
> Merge requests work well when there is one maintainer who reviews
> everything. For not regressing on the current level of review before
> something hits master, merging a merge request into master-next
> should then result in patch review emails sent to a list.
> Or a setup where creation of a merge request automatically generates
> review emails.
>
> This is similar to all patches for stable branches now being sent for
> review to the mailing list a few days before they get merged into the
> stable branch, which has caught problematic patches due to more people
> reviewing them.

I've had discussions about this in the past too.  With merge requests it
seems reasonable to automatically tag in relevant maintainers when the
request is created to request review.  For example if oe-core was on
GitLab then a MR touching GCC would automatically assign to Khem.

I agree that drive-by review is an important part for a core layer such
as oe-core where a single maintainer can't know all of the details, so
the ability to post at least new merge requests - and ideally all
traffic - to a list for this is essential.

Ross