[yocto] Kernel modules packaged but not installed

Dimitris Tassopoulos dimtass at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 01:21:17 PST 2019

Hi all. I have a weird issue with the kernel modules not being installed in
the image and also not packaged.
I see the packages for individual "kernel-module-*.ipk" modules but the
"kernel-modules_*.ipk" is always
empty.

I'm also able to see the "modules-${MACHINE}.tgz" in DEPLOYDIR which has
all the modules in there, just fine.

In my image file I've also set this:
MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kernel-modules"

This is the kernel recipe:
https://gitlab.com/dimtass/meta-allwinner-hx/blob/master/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-stable_4.19.bb

And this is the conf folder
https://gitlab.com/dimtass/meta-allwinner-hx/tree/master/conf

For some reason I can't figure out why modules are not ending up in the
image.

If I do it manually in a do_install_append like this:
do_install_append() {
    # Install kernel-modules
install -d ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}
    oe_runmake INSTALL_MOD_PATH=${D} modules_install
}

then it works, but I guess that shouldn't be the right way.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!