[yocto] Creating a special file as a dependency., .. how do I cause a recipe to execute

A aaron.biver at gmail.com
Wed May 29 08:11:58 PDT 2019

I would like to create a directory structure under TMPDIR as part of the
installation of my bitbake environment... I later create a jffs2 image from
${TMPDIR}/myapptmp/*.

(If it matters, I'm doing this because I want all my proprietary software
installed in a separate partition in the QSPI that gets mounted to a
separate /app directory) on boot.

So, I have my do_install function do things like this:
    MY_STAGING_DIR=${TMPDIR}/mytmp
    install -d ${MY_STAGING_DIR}
    install -d ${MY_STAGING_DIR}/bin
    install -d ${MY_STAGING_DIR}/script

And my recipe also states things like this:
FILES_${PN} = " \
    ${TMPDIR}/mytmp  \
    ${TMPDIR}/mytmp  /bin \
    ${TMPDIR}/mytmp  /script \

However, when I delete this directory and run my recipe's do_install
function, I don't see the temporary directory getting created.
On the other hand, if I edit my recipe (say, to insert debugging to figure
out what is going on) and run it again, I see the temporary directory is
created..

I suppose I could delete the temp directory every time I change code,... if
I remember every time, this would be great.  On the other hand, how can I
make the recipe run the do_install when the output object (temp directory)
is not there?